[IPython-dev] Distribution via "Easy Install"?

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:55:58 CST 2005

> So just to be clear: optional dependencies and egg supoort, I'm all for.
> Mandatory, not for now.

I hear you. Perhaps we could just have an optional & experimental
setup.py (or a branch in current setup.py) for building an egg-version
of ipython for easy-install goodness.

The problem in ipmaker.py that I mentioned is rather small; one can
always copy pysh.py to somewhere in pythonpath. $HOME/.ipython should
also be in the search path for

    # Execute the files the user wants in ipythonrc
    for file in IP_rc.execfile:
            file = filefind(file,sys.path+[IPython_dir])
        except IOError:
            warn(itpl('File $file not found. Skipping it.'))

in addition to the now-bogus IPython_dir.

The egg would probably be a bit more minimal than the current ipython
"full distribution", at least initially, but many users probably won't
care, just wanting to get a working ipython environment quickly.

Gotta explore this a bit more, but it seems to be good stuff all in all.

Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb