[IPython-dev] Re: Leo, IPython and the summer of code

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 5 14:36:04 CDT 2005

Edward K. Ream wrote:

> More importantly, Leo, right now, implements everything envisioned in
> the project description:
> - Leo works well with IPython. See below for details.

It does not interact with IPython in the way we need. The proposal is a
bit unclear as to the precise goal of this project. It gives undue
emphasis on the file format which gives readers the impression that it
is proposing a new literate programming tool. If that were the case,
then Leo would satisfy the proposal just fine.

However, we are not looking for a literate programming tool. We are
looking for a GUI Read-Eval-Print Loop that is embedded in a rich text
document. The way that Leo interacts with IPython is to run the REPL in
a console divorced from the document. This is not what we want. To see a
static example of what we want, please look at this rendered example
from my current codebase:

That is essentially the format that we want to be editing within the
GUI. There are two important points here:

   1. We want the shell as part of the GUI.
   2. We don't want the user to have to do any markup unless he is doing
something special.

I do not believe that using Leo as a base for this project is justified
at this time. Further development to interface with Leo is an option and
something to explore later. At this time, I feel that focusing on our
core requirements and developing outside of a framework (Leo, or any
others like Envisage, Eclipse, Blackadder, and the like) will serve us
best in the end.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter