[IPython-dev] Why .py files?

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Thu Jul 7 07:25:24 CDT 2005

Could someone please explain the fundamental requirement of section 3.1
(files), namely:

"A basic requirement of this project will be that the Python notebooks shall
be valid Python source files."

I think of a notebook as similar to a Mathematica notebook, namely

a) the notebook app itself (Mathematica), and

b) notebook files (.nb files), for use primarily by the notebook app.

In this context, I would suppose the following:

- What counts is the user experience in the notebook app.

- The natural format for notebook files today would be xml.

- Most 'computing' (or scripting) would be done in the notebook app.  Why
are separate .py files essential?

- The notebook app will have filters to produce .pdf, etc.  Why not have a
filter to produce .py files?

Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net