[IPython-dev] easy_install ipython==dev

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:26:18 CST 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>Andrew Straw suggested an approach for matplotlib that I like.
>>import sys
>>if 'setuptools' in sys.modules:
>>   kwds = {'entry_points': {...}}
>>   kwds = {}
>>     **kwds
>>    )
> And just in case people aren't sure how setuptools is supposed to get in
> sys.modules:
> python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" bdist_egg

Great, thanks for this tip and explanation.  Ville, does this give you what
you need in terms of egg support, without causing 'setuptools pollution'?

ps - Just one recent example of the kind of things that make me so paranoid
about not letting ANY unnecessary setuptools dependency creep in:

Unfortunately I had trouble installing Django for the Python 2.5 alpha that
I've got installed; it uses the fancy new ez_install stuff, which is great
when it works, but there's no Python 2.5 download of setuptools on PyPI yet,
so it doesn't.

from Guido's blog: