[IPython-dev] RFC: IPython.ipapi for "public" ipython API.

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:02:50 CST 2006

CC-ing to list...

On 1/14/06, Brian Granger <bgranger at scu.edu> wrote:

> different manner.  The reason is that the new IPython is designed to
> be used in a distributed and multiprocess environment - so
> customizations need to be able to be rolled out to IPython instances
> running on _different hosts_ or in diferent processes.

Ok; I thought it would be relayed via the mechanism through which
normal ipython "front end" would be speaking to back ends - i.e.,
ip.exec("import os") would do what a normal front end does and sends
the command to remote processes.

Remoting kills direct callback funcs, of course, so instead of

it would need to be

and mymod would need to be installed on all the machines.

> I don't think it is a problem to add some sort of API in trunk right
> now, but we should definitely be very clear that the API will likely
> go away in the future.  The customization capabilities will remain

Ok, no problem - as it stands, it would only be a low-effort
pedagogical move to have all customization in one place. Also, the
current configuration system frightens me, I just tried adding a
config option to ipmaker with poor results and would like to offer an
alternative (for myself if noone else). :-)

Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning
  Can't you feel its Fire burning
  Don't you know we all are burning
  The Fire of Life       -- R.N.Taylor / Changes