[IPython-dev] Adding setupttols to iptyhon's setup.py

Wed Dec 12 08:11:31 CST 2007

I am not a big proponent of setuptools, but I must admit they have really
nice feature for developpers: "python setup.py develop", which does the
Python equivalent of a symlink during the install so that it uses the
source code from the check out to run.

I would like to add these lines to the setup.py:

    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
except ImportError:

I cannot see waht harm this can do, and I can see the benefit: I install
an svn checkout of ipython with:

sudo python setup.py develop --prefix /usr/local

and then maintain this check out by doing "svn up", and this even in

What do you think?