[IPython-dev] host completer patch

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jul 16 01:34:29 CDT 2007

Hi Gael,

On 7/14/07, Gael Pasgrimaud <gawel@afpy.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using ipython -p sh. It has very cool features. Thanks for this !
> Unfortunately, when i need to ssh or scp something ipyhton can't
> complete my host name.
> So, here is a small completer to get a list of hosts from ~/.ssh/
> known_hosts. The patch is attached to this mail.
> Hope you like this feature !

Thanks for your patch, but I have a question: is it really going to be
useful for much longer?  I think that SSH installations these days
have switched to fully encrypted hostnames in known_hosts for security
reasons.  For example, this is what my known_hosts file looks like:

|1|b4c6JaeXDN5RNoIY4FPJHC8/90c=|7BQAEHpygIjFv1Yj3h+1EMbVhq8= ssh-rsa

... etc.

Not terribly useful for completion, I'm afraid :)

I'm on Ubuntu Feisty.  Have other distros not switched to this SSH
configuration?  I know Debian switched as of Etch to encrypted
known_hosts, and I'd imagine others will catch up in due time, no?

If this is not going to be generically useful for others, I'd rather
not have the code in the mainline, I'm afraid.