[IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for sympy

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou@gmail....
Thu Apr 3 12:43:53 CDT 2008

Just in case you want to start on ipython 0.
I've replaced the gtk.textview control by scintilla one (on wx) thus to be
more multi-gui aware.
It exist a scintilla widget for gtk, so should be quite simple to have a GTK
ipython console running with low effort.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : ipython-dev-bounces@scipy.org [mailto:ipython-dev-bounces@scipy.org] De
la part de Philipp Strack
Envoyé : jeudi 3 avril 2008 18:57
À : ipython-dev@scipy.net
Objet : [IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for

I applied for the Google Summer of Code with the proposal to create a GTK
GUI for the python based computer algebra system sympy. The GUI should be
to graphically present formulas and graphs inside the document. This GUI
be seen as a lightweight replacement for sage notebook. I want to create an
alternative to the sage webbased interface because I think GTK is a superior
technology for creating an interactive interface. A gtk interface will be
easier to maintain and extend in the long run, because things like
autocompletion, syntaxchecking, etc can be easily implemented with a custom
gtk.TextBuffer and gtk.TextView. This GUI will follow the notebook system of

Because I want to avoid any duplication of work, I wanted to ask:

Whether someone is working on something similar? What are the points to take
care of to make it later work with ipython?

I am thankful for every feedback on the proposal

IPython-dev mailing list