[IPython-dev] Brand new refactored version for linux users!

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Jan 13 12:02:47 CST 2008

[ Note: the screenshot has been removed because the scipy server is
having problems and I can't approve the submission.

It basically showed no highlighting, and weird artifacts for commands
like 'ls' in the output.  Laurent, I can send it to you privately if
you want ]

Hi Laurent,

On Jan 10, 2008 2:55 PM, Laurent Dufrechou <laurent.dufrechou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
> Here is finally a new version with a completely refactored display widget.

Great, many thanks.

> I've switched to scintilla because of the difference in behavior between
> windows and linux.
> The benefit is that now history widget got syntax highlighting J

Mmh, I don't see that yet, at least not on my linux box.  I'm
attaching a screenshot so you can see:

- no highlighting
- strange ESC]0; artifacts for some output.

I also noticed that anything that is printed out goes to the terminal.
 Try for example

and you'll see the output paged in the terminal where wxIPython was
started.  After that, I had to kill the whole thing because I couldn't
regain control of the WX shell at all, no matter what I tried.

So it still seems to have a few rough edges, but I see a lot of
potential here.  Thanks!

> I've commited all of this under ipython/trunk/ipython/gui.  Don't know if
> it's ok as it the first time I do this… J

That's OK, it gives you a self-contained area to work in.  It would be
good if you could add a README.txt file that indicates that this is
still *purely experimental* code, so that people aren't misled yet
into thinking that it has the full ipython capabilities.  I'm very
happy to have you on board and contributing a real GUI ipython, but we
need to be careful not to confuse users as to the robustness of the
various pieces.