[IPython-dev] ipython0.9 and python2.4

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Sep 14 14:41:18 CDT 2008

Hi Nils,

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nils,
> Sorry about this.  We will put out a bug fix release ASAP to address this.

Thanks for catching this, I'm sorry we missed it.  For all the testing
we did (we did, really :), we dropped the ball on 2.4 compatibility.

I'm working on the fix release right now.

BTW, it greatly annoys me that setuptools will happily build a broken egg:

byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/IPython/kernel/tests/test_contexts.py
to test_contexts.pyc
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/IPython/kernel/tests/test_contexts.py",
line 28
    with parallel as pr:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

and it chugs along, so it's very easy to miss the above message in a
long flash of output.

At least the bdist_rpm commands have the decency of failing in this case:

RPM build errors:
    File not found:
    File not found:
    File not found:
    File not found:
    File not found:
error: command 'rpmbuild' failed with exit status 1

(though the build still proceeds farther than it should).