[IPython-dev] Frontendbase and compile_ast.

Sun Sep 14 16:39:25 CDT 2008

The frontend base class has a compile ast method. This introduces a
Python2.5 dependency, which we cannot have.

Currently no code in the frontends uses this method. I used it for a
while, but it turned out that the codeop module was more suited for
testing if the code was complete than compiling it to ast. I am strongly
thinking about removing this method for know.

Barry, you are the original author of this piece of code. I'd like your
input on this.