[IPython-dev] More %magics - numpy print options

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Jan 23 01:34:51 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:28, Andrew Straw <strawman@astraw.com> wrote:
> On this subject, sympy has a very nice autodetection-of-terminal-width
> feature that would be very cool to port into the numpy printing stuff
> and/or ipython. Being completely oblivious of where this should best
> live and being completely lacking in spare time, all I can do is mention
> that it would be a cool feature to port into ipython or numpy.

IPython does have a function for this, too, on UNIX systems with
curses (sympy also uses curses on UNIX but also has a Windows
implementation using ctypes and the Windows API). I also found another
UNIX implementation that only uses the fcntl and termios modules,
which may be more ubiquitous than curses.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco