[IPython-dev] [patch] IPython.set_trace() implemented

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Mon Jun 22 23:21:40 CDT 2009

with the attached patch you can now do:

a = {3: 4}

def something():
    b = 45
    import IPython

and after you run it:

Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:58:18)

IPython 0.10.bzr.r1163 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: a
Out[1]: {3: 4}

In [2]: b
Out[2]: 45

e.g. you can access locals() and globals() immediately. I use this
very often lately, as it is very handy to debug some broken place in
the code. Another usage is that I need to implement some difficult
operation with numpy arrays, dicts, etc. usually some oneliner, but I
am not sure about the API, so I just call IPython.set_trace(), play
with the things to get what I want, then just copy & paste the
oneliner to the code.

More info in the docstring:

In [2]: IPython.set_trace?
Type:		function
Base Class:	<type 'function'>
String Form:	<function set_trace at 0x7f31ca8b3140>
Namespace:	Interactive
File:		/home/ondrej/usr/lib/python/IPython/__init__.py
Definition:	IPython.set_trace()
    Starts the IPython shell inplace.

    >> import IPython
    >> IPython.set_trace()

    The user namespace is set to the union of globals() and locals(), e.g.
    calling set_trace() is exactly equivalent to:

        import IPython
        IPython.Shell.IPShell(user_ns=dict(globals(), **locals())).mainloop()

    but the actual implementation of set_trace() needs to use the inspect
    module, because it needs to access the parents frame.

Let me know if the implementation is ok, or if some more work is needed.