[IPython-dev] Status of ipy_pretty and ipy_traits_completer?

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Thu Oct 8 15:42:33 CDT 2009

I agree it would be useful to have a README in those directories, but I
wasn't entirely

>From the "changes/whatsnew" docs:

* :mod:`Extensions` has been moved to :mod:`extensions` and all existing
  extensions have been moved to either :mod:`IPython.quarantine` or
  :mod:`IPython.deathrow`. :mod:`IPython.quarantine` contains modules that
  plan on keeping but that need to be updated. :mod:`IPython.deathrow`
  contains modules that are either dead or that should be maintained as
  party libraries. More details about this can be found :ref:`here

>From module_reorg:

* :mod:`IPython.deathrow`. This is for code that is outdated, untested,
  rotting, or that belongs in a separate third party project. Eventually all
  this code will either i) be revived by someone willing to maintain it with
  tests and docs and re-included into IPython or 2) be removed from IPython
  proper, but put into a separate third-party Python package. No new code
  be allowed here.

* :mod:`IPython.quarantine`. This is for code that doesn't meet IPython's
  standards, but that we plan on keeping. To be moved out of this
  a module needs to have approval of the core IPython developers, tests and

Based on this, I would say the following:

* ipy_pretty should be cleaned up, ported to the new extension API and put
back into extensions.

* ipy_traits_completer should be cleaned up, ported to the new extension API
shipped with traits itself.  The new extension API supports loading
from any module in sys.path (it just imports them).