[IPython-dev] Qt/Curses interfaces future: results of the weekend mini-sprint (or having fun with 0mq)

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Mar 24 01:55:34 CDT 2010

> It feels good to try to get involved again. A PhD and starting a
> family and a company have intervened. The last two will doubtless do
> so again, but this announcement is too exciting not to draw me in a
> bit.

It would be great to have your help again, but we totally understand.

>> I do think the UI<->kernel protocol should be isolated from the
>> notebook format.  The reason is that the UI<->kernel will know zip
>> about the notebook.  It is only responsible for code execution.
>> Another reason I want this separation is that different UIs might need
>> different things for the notebook format.
> True. On the flip side, notebooks hold
> the inputs that get sent to the kernel plus the outputs that come
> back. Why repeat code to serialize these items into different formats
> etc. I'm not trying to take a strong stand on this one, just thinking
> out loud.

This is a good point that we need to think about further.  In a web browser
I think JSON is a better option.  The only place I think XML seems better is
on disk.  Hmmm.

> And wouldn't it be nice for the project to have a consistent notebook
> format across frontends? Seems like a useabity disaster to
> be unable to take notebooks between platforms and/or frontends.

Yes, I do think in the long run we absolutely want to have a single
notebook format
that ships with IPython that any frontend can use. I can even imagine hiding
the notebook format implementation from the frontend with some sort of API.

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics