[IPython-dev] Announcing shrubbery

Grahame Bowland grahame@angrygoats....
Sun Aug 21 04:18:11 CDT 2011

Hi everyone

I've spent the last few days coming up with a Python 3 distribution of
iPython and friends for Mac OS X. It now works (mostly), and I thought
I'd share it.

The home page is here:
and I've put an experimental installer image here:

For a long time I've maintained my Python setup by hand, installing
packages into /usr/local and eventually having a huge mess. Hence this
project - a distribution of software for Mac OS to make it easier for
people to get started with iPython.

I've targeted Python 3 in the hope it'll encourage the porting of more
software to the new version of the language.

There's not too much Mac OS specific about this, except that on Linux
you'd probably want to get packages from your distribution. If anyone
wants to make it work on other platforms that'd be great.