[IPython-dev] client connection in shared filesystem for a farm of machines

Johann Cohen-Tanugi johann.cohentanugi@gmail....
Wed Jun 22 10:39:36 CDT 2011

I am using a farm of several machines, and I log in to it using ssh and
a generic farm name, ending up on one specific machine depending on
loads etc.... All the machines of the farm see the AFS filesystem, on
which a json file was created when I fired ipcluster after a first login
to the farm.
Then I start another terminal and log in again to the farm, ending up on
another machine than the one the ipcluster is running on.
If I then do :
from IPython.parallel import Client
c = Client()

it hangs.... If I do:
c =
it returns :
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
in <module>()
----> 1 c =

TypeError: __new__() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

so I guess the doc in
needs a patch.

Finally if I do :
c =
it also hangs, while on the same ipython session I can immediately check :
In [8]: ls -ltr
-rw------- 1 cohen ec 130 Jun 22 08:06

that indeed the JSON file is accessible via the AFS file sharing.

I checked that if I forced connecting to the same machine instead of
using the generic farm name,
c=Client() immediately returns with the engines attached and I can
proceed normally.

Thanks in advance for the help,