[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Nov 30 13:20:57 CST 2011

On 30 November 2011 18:50, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a compromise, why don't we allow autocall of "foo x", but not "foo.bar
> x" (unless autocall is set to 2)? This preserves the main uses of autocall
> (len, print in Python 3, etc.), without needing attribute access.

I've done this in my autocall-safe branch, if anyone wants to test it:

Turning autocall up to 2 will still inspect attributes, but that's not the

If we're happy with this behaviour, I'll update docs and so forth.