[IPython-dev] IPython talk in Sheffield

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Sep 29 08:39:40 CDT 2011

On 29 September 2011 14:13, Hans Meine <hans_meine@gmx.net> wrote:

> Concerning "easy setup", I missed PPAs to be mentioned in a recent
> discussion
> as an easy installation method for Ubuntu systems.  In particular, Chris
> Lea
> (whom I don’t know personally, so trust him on your own risk) seems to
> offer
> all optional ipython dependencies, so that it is enough to issue:
>  sudo apt-add-repository ppa:chris-lea/libpgm
>  sudo apt-add-repository ppa:chris-lea/zeromq
>  sudo apt-add-repository ppa:chris-lea/python-tornado

Perhaps even more conveniently, Julian Taylor made an ipython-dev ppa, which
contains IPython (albeit not a dev version at the moment), zeromq, pyzmq and

Tornado isn't in there at the moment, but it would be an obvious thing to
add if we're packaging the version with the notebook. Hopefully in a few
months, we won't be depending on so much bleeding-edge stuff, so it will be
easier to set up.