[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook save problem caused by HTTP PUT

Lars-Innohead lars@innohead....
Mon Aug 27 04:09:39 CDT 2012

Hi IPython developers

I have found a bug and a way to solve it: Sometimes I can not save an
IPython Notebook. The bigger the notebook is, the more likely saving is to
fail. The problem occurs on Windows but not on Mac.

Problem details:

When using the Chrome browser under windows a notebook containing only this
single line
for i in xrange(1234): print i
can always be saved. But if I make the notebook bigger by changing the line
for i in xrange(123456): print i
saving usually fails.

I found out that the problem disappeared, if I modified IPython to use HTTP
POST instead of HTTP PUT. I don't know if it's a bug in the Chrome browser
or a bug in the Tornado server, but it can be solved by modifying these
three lines

            //type : "PUT",
            type : "POST",

    def post(self, notebook_id):
    #def put(self, notebook_id):

Kind Regards
Lars Bojsen-Møller

Sent from the IPython - Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.