[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror
Sun Jan 22 15:56:25 CST 2012
Recently, we added the ability for users to edit a single cell in the
notebook using the Ace editor. I think Fernando and I have been under
the impression that Ace was a more featureful editor that power users
would want for serious dev work in the notebook. Here is my take on
* Ace has better support for keyboard bindings (emacs/vim), although a
recent version of CodeMirror has improved this situation.
* Ace has more keyboard actions out of the box, such as indentation of blocks.
* Fernando and others have remarked that CodeMirror was not quite as
nice as Ace. I have this vague sense, but it is difficult to say
exactly what is better.
* Is Ace really that much better that it is worth us shipping/using it?
* Do people like the ability to edit a single cell in a
Please check out the Ace capabilty in master and let us know what you think...
Brian E. Granger
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
More information about the IPython-dev