[IPython-dev] available modifier keys

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Tue Jul 3 02:41:52 CDT 2012

Dear Matthias,

On 07/03/2012 09:23 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER wrote:
> Le 3 juil. 2012 à 08:43, Zoltán Vörös a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> On 07/03/2012 02:57 AM, klo uo wrote:
>>> Don't know what OS you run, but FYI Alt-Enter doesn't seem to do
>>> anything on Windows in both Firefox and Chrome.
>>> appending new cell in one shortcut, looks interesting to me
>> But what baffles me is that in ipython, the Alt key is completely
>> missing as a modifier, and thus, I suspect that it doesn't work
>> somewhere. There might be issues on Macs, perhaps?
>> Could someone comment on how the shortcuts were ironed out, and what is
>> left for future use?
> You have a beginning of answer here :
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2011-December/008925.html
Thanks for the pointer! I have already seen that thread, for I started
it:) But that actually doesn't answer the question, as you pointed out

> But basically we would be happy to find a common prefix that works for all platform (combinaison of os/browser/local/keyboard layout) which is quite hard.
> Alt might do the trick in some locals, but it is used for many accentuated letters, I for example use an English Internationnal keyboard to
> write my notebooks in french, and use alt pretty often, that would highly complicate the logics. I don't say that it is not possible neither a bad choice.
> Just that you get often edges case that are a pain to deal with.
But I think, Alt+Enter for the specific functionality that I described,
should not be a problem. After all, no characters are tied to Alt+Enter.
Perhaps, I should make myself clear: I am not advocating the idea that
the present set of shortcuts should be changed, I am just trying to see,
how a new shortcut could be accommodated. I would also like to point out
that this discussion also pertains to another one,
although, in that case, it is somewhat clearer what the combination
could be, it is just not clear, how it should be implemented.

So, should I just try to add Alt+Enter as a new keybinding for executing
a cell, and inserting a new cell code in place?