[IPython-dev] custom widget example : python and javascript

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Nov 13 12:37:11 CST 2012

I would have a look at my jsonhandlers branch:

And then grab the jsplugins repo:

These existing plugins should show you how to get started with the new APIs
(which I recommend using).

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Massimo Di Stefano <
massimodisasha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi IPython!
> i was tring to learn how to code a cell in order to have interaction
> between  python <->  Javascript (jquery?)
> i can try to explain with an example …
> let's say i have a dictionary in python :
> and a function that take as input the dict and print out the value :
>            print maydict['keyN']
> what i'm tring to learn is :
>  how to render inside an "IPython notebook cell"   a js gui tool like a
> "dropdown menu"  that will contain the "mydict keys"
>  and  button that will connect the selected value in the dropdown menu to
> the printval function ?
> i guess it should be trivial for who knows the how the internal engine
> works, i was really attracted by the  new "js plugin system" (i saw it in
> NYC at the PyData … cool!)
> for me an example like this can be a perfect starting point to start to
> develop something useful ….
> thamk you for you great support!
> Massimo.

Brian E. Granger