[IPython-dev] Setting up IPython with IPython-hydra and IPython-proxy

epi massimodisasha@gmail....
Fri Jun 7 02:53:15 CDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm using IPython Notebook with a group of researcher at my university everything was working fine [1]
but unfortunately they are stopping my services because they don't allow me to use expose to the whole internet the IP:PORT where the IPython instances are running.

that's frustrating because i had to "quit" the services and now people is stuck with their work, no-more available :(

i tried to set up a proxy with apache, but afaik apache doesn't like websoket .

i tried enabling the mod_proxy, mod_proxy_html, mod_proxy_http and in the 000-defaults file under /etc/apache2/sites-enabled,
I put the following lines:

    ProxyPass /ipython1 http://localhost:8080

    <Location /ipython1>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from All
        ProxyPassReverse /
        #ProxyHTMLExtended On
        ProxyHTMLURLMap / /ipython1/ c
        SetOutputFilter proxy-html

but the page will not render properly.

Googling i came across IPython-Hydra and IPython-Proxy
and at this link  https://github.com/cni/ipython-hydra/issues/1
is described exactly what i was looking for

i tried to set up IPython-notebook-proxy but i got the same result of using apache proxy (no js/css loaded)

i also tried to setup ipython-hydra but it gave me :

[Wed Jun 05 06:25:28 2013] [error] [client] PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required 'Logging.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/ipython-hydra.php on line 2

thank you for any help!

the non-solution i was using  :

I added on a linux machine N unix-users and add in "crontab -e" :

@reboot /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/ipython.sh

# where "ipython.sh" is a script to export few environment vars and run an ipython notebook with a specific profile (where the --port is specified)

this ends that at each reboot all the unix users have a running notebook on their specific port.

then from the apache root directory "/var/ww/" i stored a set of html file :

with this code in it :

<META name="description" content="MySite"><META name="keywords" content="MySite">
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://LOCALNETWORK-IP:USER_PORT" frameborder="0" />
<frame frameborder="0" noresize />