[IPython-dev] SciPy John Hunter Excellence in Plotting Contest
Thu Mar 7 17:54:23 CST 2013
Apologies for any accidental cross-posting.
Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
Scientific Computing with Python-Austin, Texas-June 24-29, 2013
SciPy John Hunter Excellence in Plotting Contest
In memory of John Hunter, we are pleased to announce the first SciPy
John Hunter Excellence in Plotting Competition. This open competition
aims to highlight the importance of quality plotting to scientific
progress and showcase the capabilities of the current generation of
plotting software. Participants are invited to submit scientific plots
to be judged by a panel. The winning entries will be announced and
displayed at the conference.
NumFOCUS is graciously sponsoring cash prizes for the winners in the
* 1st prize: $500
* 2nd prize: $200
* 3rd prize: $100
* Entries must be submitted by April 3 via e-mail
* Plots may be produced with any combination of Python-based tools (it
is not required that they use matplotlib, for example).
* Source code for the plot must be provided, along with a rendering of
the plot in a vector format (PDF, PS, etc.). If the data can not be
shared for reasons of size or licensing, "fake" data may be
substituted, along with an image of the plot using real data.
* Entries will be judged on their clarity, innovation and aesthetics,
but most importantly for their effectiveness in illuminating real
scientific work. Entrants are encouraged to submit plots that were
used during the course of research, rather than merely being
* SciPy reserves the right to display the entry at the conference, use
in any materials or on its website, providing attribution to the
* April 3rd: Plotting submissions due
* Monday-Tuesday, June 24 - 25: SciPy 2013 Tutorials, Austin TX
* Wednesday-Thursday, June 26 - 27: SciPy 2013 Conference, Austin TX *
Winners will be announced during the conference days
* Friday-Saturday, June 27 - 28: SciPy 2013 Sprints, Austin TX & remote
We look forward to exciting submissions that push the boundaries of
plotting, in this, our first attempt at this kind of competition.
The SciPy Plotting Contest Organizer
-Michael Droettboom, Space Telescope Science Institute
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the mailing list
or registered for the SciPy 2010 or SciPy 2011 conference in Austin, TX.
email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> from this list | Forward to a
| Update your profile
*Our mailing address is:*
515 Congress Ave.
Austin, TX 78701
Add us to your address book
/Copyright (C) 2013 Enthought, Inc. All rights reserved./
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IPython-dev