[IPython-dev] libreadline.so.5 missing in Canopy's IPython?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu@aero.iitb.ac...
Fri Feb 21 12:07:36 CST 2014

On 2/21/14 11:05 PM, Name Name wrote:
> I'm (partially) using IPython also out of Enthought's Canopy environment. Hopefully someone on this list is familiar with that.
> I just upgraded to version only to find that I could not invoke the simple 'non-notebook' IPython shell anymore without error because of a missing libreadline.so.5.
> I then realized, that indeed appdata/canopy- is lacking libreadline.so.5 completely(?)
> Also I realized that strangely/luckily appdata/canopy- of the earlier version was not deleted during update(?)
> Moreover the 'old' appdata/canopy- does contain libreadline.so.5
> After putting links to the 'old' libreadline.so.5 into the new appdata/canopy- the 'non-notebook' IPython shell starts again without error.
> Most likely all of this is not supposed to be. Does anyone have/had similar experiences? What am I missing here?

Readline should have been installed in your user environment
automatically after your upgrade so I am surprised it did not work for
you.  Do you have readline installed in your User environment?  How are
you launching IPython?  You shouldn't have to touch your
appdata/canopy- and you can probably remove
the older appdata/canopy- as well.  If you
don't see readline in your environment, install it using enpkg readline.