[IPython-dev] How to get the notebook name/path in the kernel?

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen@fastmail....
Wed Feb 26 11:35:05 CST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am writing my own kernel (a thin wrapper around
IPython.kernel.zmq.ipkernel.Kernel), which is started through the
standard KernelApp and KernelManager by reconfiguring

During initialization, my kernel needs to know the name and path of
the notebook that it is attached to.  I don't see an obvious way to
get this information. It looks like the KernelManager is the class
that has the information, but I can't communicate with it from
the kernel.

Any help would be appreciated!