[IPython-user] Re: problems with ipython-emacs-mode

Karl Pflästerer sigurd at 12move.de
Tue Oct 21 12:58:17 CDT 2003

On 21 Oct 2003, Jens Brandenburg <- jens_brandenburg at gmx.net wrote:

> I work on Win98 and I want to use IPython as py-shell for my (X)Emacs...
> Therefor I put all the relevant stuff into my ~/.xemacs file (ipython.el,
> python-mode.el, ipython executable...). In the custom.el I add the

What exactly did you write in your .xemacs.el?

> following lines: (load "~/.xemacs/ipython.el"); (load
> "~/.xemacs/python-mode.el"); (require 'ipython)

In custom.el you shouldn't write anything manually.

> So it seems to me that it should work but it doesn't!!! Loading works but
> if I start the interpreter only Python is running...
> Maybe someone could give me a hint...

Look at the load-path (`C-h v load-path RET'); try
`M-x find-libraray python-mode RET'; which lib is found?

I think the original python-mode.el is found instead of the one from

What is a bit sad are the differences in between python-mode.el from
Ipython and the original one; where are discussions according ipython.el
approbiate? (IMO it should be possible to put all the different code in
ipython.el so it would be easier to use it in (X)Emacs).

Männer der Wissenschaft! Man sagt ihr viele nach,
aber die meisten mit Unrecht.
                             Karl Kraus 'Aphorismen'