[IPython-user] Re: problems with ipython-emacs-mode

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 21 13:10:48 CDT 2003

Karl Pflästerer wrote:

>>So it seems to me that it should work but it doesn't!!! Loading works but
>>if I start the interpreter only Python is running...
>>Maybe someone could give me a hint...
> Look at the load-path (`C-h v load-path RET'); try
> `M-x find-libraray python-mode RET'; which lib is found?

Thanks for the tips.  I use xemacs for everythnig, but I know next to nothing
about configuring it, so I'm not of much help here.

> I think the original python-mode.el is found instead of the one from
> Ipython.
> What is a bit sad are the differences in between python-mode.el from
> Ipython and the original one; where are discussions according ipython.el
> approbiate? (IMO it should be possible to put all the different code in
> ipython.el so it would be easier to use it in (X)Emacs).

Well, I think all the changes in python-mode.el which Alex Schmolck made for
ipython, have been sent upstream to the python-mode maintainers.  So if
someone is using a recent (possibly CVS) version of pyhton-mode.el, they
should be ok and a simple

(require 'ipython)

should suffice.

Alex, could you correct me if the above is incorrect?

But it's quite possible that the python-mode.el distributed with various
public releases of (X)emacs is still a bit behind, and in that case it may
require some manual tweaks to make sure that you get the new one loaded
instead of the default.