[IPython-user] Readline for Windows

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Wed May 5 10:46:42 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Voidspace wrote:
>> There is a readline module for windows :
>> http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html
>> If this is installed - Ipython crashes horribly................
>> It obvioucly has different attributes to the Linux
>> version................
> Crashes horribly... Could you please be more specific?  Without a
> traceback, it will be very hard to know what's going on here.  Feel
> free to post the full traceback, or if you get an ipython crash report
> post that.

I posted the crash report a couple of weeks ago.... and there was no
I worked out for myself that it was readline causing the problem - but
without readline features Ipython isn't *that much* better than an
ordinary console window for me :-(

I'll see if I can still find it...............

> Note that if they decided to implement the completion protocol in a
> manner very different to GNU readline, it will be pretty much
> impossible for me to make it work.  But I know that ipython works ok
> with Gary Bishop's python tools, which include readline and color
> support, so perhaps that might help you.

I've googled - but can't find any reference to 'Gary Bishop's python
tools'... are they for cygwin python or 'real python' ? :-)

> Regards,
> f.

The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
Building with Python - programming language that rules the world.

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
 to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
         -Milan Kundera