[IPython-user] Readline for Windows

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Thu May 6 04:21:30 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> [snip..]
>> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'get_completer_delims'
> Well, I'm sorry to say this, but I think their readline is just
> broken: if they want to implement a readline-like module for windows,
> it should hopefully conform to the API of the standard python readline
> one.  Otherwise, it becomes a pain to maintain cross-platform code.
> I _could_ put in a hackish try/except around various things which can
> make this pseudo-readline crash, but I won't.  I would rather argue
> that this module should be called readline_win or somesuch until it is
> API-compatible with the true python readline one.  Making a module
> with the same name as one in the standard library, but which
> implements only part of the API is just nasty, IMHO.  Note that I'm
> not implying any malice on the author's part, just a poor
> coding/design choice; no offense intended.

OK - it looks like the Gary Bishop one you point to is probably much
better anyway.

>>> I've googled - but can't find any reference to 'Gary Bishop's python
>>> tools'... are they for cygwin python or 'real python' ? :-)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools/
> Sorry for not posting a link before, since it's not that obvious
> unless you knew what to google for in the first place ('uncpythontools').

Thanks for the link - looks cool.........
I'll give it a try - hopefully it will make Ipython a really useful tool
for me.

> Regards,

The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
Building with Python - programming language that rules the world.

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
 to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
         -Milan Kundera