[IPython-user] IPython and psyco

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon May 17 11:51:25 CDT 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> There's been a lot of talk how psyco can speed up one's code without a
> code change. I tried it today (psyco 1.1.1 and 1.2) with Python 2.3 in
> IPython 0.5 and 0.6 under Cygwin and Gentoo Linux: IPython crashes
> badly everytime (even while assigning a string to a variable). Not
> even a crash report is generated. - Default Python shell runs without
> a problem.
> Has anyone ever made IPython interact with psyco?

I've never tried.  Seeing how ipython is pure python code (no C extensions in
there), I honestly don't know why it wouldn't work 'out of the box'.  Psyco is
dark, black magic, so I suggest you take the issue up with the psyco wizards.
    If any of the failures is due to an ipython bug, I'll gladly fix it, of