[IPython-user] Re: ipython and tkinter canvas

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sun Nov 7 23:37:43 CST 2004

    FP> More info rom Rod Holland...
    >> So I discovered that if I do not run root.mainloop I can add to

Yes, mainloop will block, so if you don't call it you are set.

    >> the image interactively (thats cool).  But the following does
    >> not work as a simple animation.

    >> for i in range(10):
    >> tg3=canvas.create_oval(0,0,10*i,10*i,fill='yellow')
    >> time.sleep(.5)

IIRC you need to call canvas.update_idletasks() or canvas.update().
Try them before you sleep and it might work.

In [3]: r.update?
Definition:     r.update(self)
    Enter event loop until all pending events have been processed by Tcl.

In [5]: r.update_idletasks?
Definition:     r.update_idletasks(self)
    Enter event loop until all idle callbacks have been called. This
    will update the display of windows but not process events caused by
    the user.