[IPython-user] Re: Embedded IPython and readline under MacOS-X

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Mon Apr 4 18:14:40 CDT 2005

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez <at> colorado.edu> writes:

> If readline works in this case, it means I'm right.  Otherwise, I'll defer the
> solution to our OSX users who can actually test things instead of making
> guesses out of thin air like I'm doing right now :)
> best,

You would appear to be right. The solution is quite simple though.

To enable readline support for the Apple supplied version of Python requires a
single line to be typed into the terminal;

$ python `python -c "import pimp; print pimp.__file__"` -i readline

Works like a charm on my system. See

(you'll need to unwrap the line above to get the full url)