[IPython-user] "Bus error" on Mac OS X

Hans Fangohr H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 12:14:44 CDT 2005

Hi Andrea and others,

just for the record the error description first (and again): When I start
IPython and issue a simple command, I get an IPython (or Python) crash,
and a 'Bus Error' is reported (see earlier email).

In [1]: 1+1
Bus error

> Also some informations about OS X version and installed compiler would
> be usefull. I maintain the ipython package for the Fink project and I'm
> running flawlessly ipython 0.6.12 with Python 2.3.5, OS X 10.3.8 and
> gcc 3.3.

This was with fink ...., python 2.3, ipython 0.6.12 on OS X 10.4.1 (i.e.
'fink install python23' and 'fink install ipython-py23') and I can't
recall the gcc-setting (either 3.3 or 4.0) but I think that didn't matter
because fink was installing the pre-compiled binaries.

The fink version is:

Vigor10:~ fangohr$ fink --version
Package manager version: 0.23.10
Distribution version: 0.8.0.rsync

Then I experienced the problems described in my last email, i.e. ipython
starts okay but a 'Bus error' is reported for trivial operations such as
1+1. These work fine with /sw/bin/python2.3.

Because of the feedback provided (basically saying that this sounds like a
hardware error [which is unlikely because everything else works fine on
that machine] or a Python that is not cleanly compiled/mix up libraries
etc), I removed fink's python2.3 and ipython and installed from source:

fink --no-use-binary-dist install python23

While this was compiling required libraries, I had to switch gcc from 3.3
to 4.0 (got an error message requesting this). I did this and Python
compiled okay.

I then installed ipython:

fink --no-use-binary-dist install ipython-py23

(I followed the fink FAQ
http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php?phpLang=en#unstable to get
ipython into the list of known applications: copied
to /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo.)

Unfortunately (!!!!), I still get exactly the same error:

Vigor10:~ fangohr$ ipython
Python 2.3.5 (#1, Jul  1 2005, 13:24:33)

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: 1+1
Bus error

What should I try next to track this down?

I realise that this is the ipython list and that -- following earlier
emails -- it is unlikely that ipython causes such a low-lever error. This
is also not the fink emailing list, I know.  However, it is not clear
where the bug comes from and it shows up in ipython (only so far).
Suggestions where to report this problem are also welcome.