[IPython-user] Killing a hung program

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Jun 17 11:28:52 CDT 2005

    Fernando> You can also keep a log of all commands you run via
    Fernando> %logstart.  The docstrings for the logging-related
    Fernando> functions have details.

A couple of suggestions (apologies if they are dumb or already
implemeted :).  logstart sticks a logfile in each directory you start
IPython from.  I thought it would be cool to have the following
  1. Allow the user to have one logfile that always logs stuff into
     .ipython/log.  Unlike __IP.savehist, this log is always

  2. An option to specify the log mode from the command line.  Right
     now you can say ipython -l, but that by default uses the rotate
     mode (which I dislike).  I ran into this problem sometime back
     but did not get the chance to post about it.

I do know that logstart [log_name [log_mode]] will do the trick but
the problem is that you don't always remember to logstart and
sometimes something goofy happens and your shell bombs.