[IPython-user] Using graphical toolkits

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 2 09:32:28 CST 2005

    Eduardo> Hello all!  I have been told that ipython is able to run
    Eduardo> pygtk and wxpython interactively. I was wondering if it
    Eduardo> is possible to run pyqt also.

Not currently -- but now that matplotlib has a qt backend, this would
be nice!  Take a look at Shell.py and follow the examples of
IPShellGTK and IPShellWX -- if you know qt pretty well, it shouldn't
be too hard to add qt support.  Basically you have to start the GUI
mainloop in a separate thread and set up a timer or idle handler to
call self.IP.runcode() periodically.  The GTK implementation was 60
lines of code, and much of that is version checking and error