[IPython-user] A plea for help with a threading bug...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:40:33 CST 2005

Hi all,

I got this bug report:

The short of it:

Presing 'tab' in order to activate the completer sometimes
segfaults ipython, when one of the thread flags is used
(gthread, wthread or pylab). Although this happens more
often with gthread, a similar crash is also possible with

Since this is caused by some race condition, in order to
reproduce the problem, the TIMEOUT variable of
IPShellWX/IPShellGTK can be set to 1.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. start ipython -gthread
2. press 'tab' a couple of times
3. 'Segmentation fault'

1. start ipython -wthread
2. press 'tab' a couple of times
3. 'Fatal Python error: GC object already tracked'

The bad news: I don't have a clue what to do here.  I'm hoping someone on the
list who knows more about threading than I do might point me in the right
direction.   Anything will help, since I have exactly _zero_ ideas at this point.