[IPython-user] Extreme Ipython frustration blues....

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Sep 16 12:56:15 CDT 2005

Rob Marino wrote:

>  However, and here the plot thickens. I fI understand the docs correctly
> then there should be an win32 native executable called ipython.exe - this
> does not exist..

No, there is no ipython.exe.  IPython is just a simple python script loaded by
the plain python.exe interpreter.

>  Also, adding the debug lines you provided and stepping thru in wing
> provides this:
>  *WARNING: Stream <cin> looks suspicious: it lacks a 'mode' attribute.
> *** DBG *** home dir info: None
> None
> <type 'NoneType'>*

OK, this is the problem.  For some bizarre reason, self.home_dir is invalid.
Try replacing IPython/genutils.py with the attached version, and then try two

1. Starting ipython normally

2. At a normal python, try:

 >>> from IPython import genutils
 >>> genutils.get_home_dir()