[IPython-user] Freezing ipython with cx_freeze

Ralf Schmitt ralf at brainbot.com
Mon Aug 14 05:33:46 CDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi Luis Miguel,
> I'm sending this to the ipython list, where I prefer to deal with ipython
> issues both so they get archived and so that others can contribute as well.
> The mailing list page is:
> I've never used cx_freeze and have somewhat allergic reactions to setuptools
> (which I don't use at all), so I'm of little help here.  Additionally, all of
> this week I'll be traveling with limited email access.  Hopefully someone else
> on our list may have cx_freeze experience and may be able to help.
> Saludos,
> Luis Miguel Morillas wrote:
>> Hello, Fernando
>> I want to freeze an app (a 4Suite + Amara project) with an ipython
>> interface. I have some problems I describe here
>> http://livingpyxml.python-hosting.com/wiki/AmaraWithIpython

I have successfully frozen ipython using the following script:

#! /usr/bin/env python

def _dummy():
     import IPython.hooks

def main():
     except NameError:
         class Printer(object):
             def __init__(self):
                 self._Printer__data = ''

         import __builtin__
         __builtin__.credits = Printer()
         __builtin__.copyright = Printer()
         __builtin__.quit = __builtin__.exit = ""

     from IPython.Shell import IPythonShellEmbed
     ipshell = IPythonShellEmbed()
     ipshell() # this call anywhere in your program will start IPython

if __name__=='__main__':

>> Maybe a problem due to setuptools use?

The second error seems originates from
Try to install a non setuptools version of ipython.