[IPython-user] Prompt expressions

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Wed Jun 21 08:47:01 CDT 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Michael Scarpa <m.scarpa at uva.nl> wrote:
>> Looks nice, but since it's all moving to hooks anyway:  The reason why I
>> am using prompt expressions is that I have a function that I want to be
>> executed every time *after* the execution of the last input.  Since
>> IPython outputs the input-prompt after the execution, I simply tucked my
>> function call into the prompt.  Now, is there (or is there going to be)
>> a hook to do this in a more elegant way than re-implementing the
>> standard IPython input-prompt-hook with the added function call?  In the
>> end I don't need to change the prompt, but tho have my function be
>> called after the processing of the last user input.
> Any ideas how it could be most useful? I figure we could have
> input_postfilter or something, but it would be too close to
> result_display hook (that already exists) for my taste...
> Any other opinions?

A difference between the result_display hook and the input_postfilter
might be that for the result_display hook the first hook that handles
the object cancel further processing. For the input_postfilter handlers
further down the chain might want to process the object too.

And BTW input_postfilter sounds to me as it would be called between
inputting the code and executing it and not between executing it and
printing the result.