[IPython-user] Install several parallel versions of ipython (different python interpreters)

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Fri Oct 6 07:05:47 CDT 2006

Hi David,

>     I would like to know if there is an easy way to install parallel
> versions of ipython ? Actually, I would like to be able to use ipython
> with python 2.4 which is the default on my machine, and with python2.5
> (compiled by hand); is changing the python interpreter in the ipython
> script the only required change ?

I think you can do this by just going through the "python setup.py
{build|install}" dance w/ your python 2.5 binary and it should work out.

There's a --home option listed in the manual which would also install
it in an other-than-default place (it uses $HOME/local).

Maybe something like this could work in the ipython dir:

python setup.py clean
rm -Rf build
/path/to/python2.5/bin/python setup.py install --home $HOME/local

which I'd imagine will put this new ipython in $HOME/local/bin

Using the python2.5 binary should take care of ipython using the
right version of python ... I'd imagine it PYTHONPATH and such would
just fall into place.