[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 9 12:56:26 CDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Jerome Fung <jf1201@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again.  I believe I've now removed all ipython-related things from my
> computer.  But there was one thing I wanted to point out before
> reinstalling.  I looked for the directory
>  /usr/local/lib/python2.5/
> and it did not exist.  The site-packages directory I managed to find that
> was clearly for Python 2.5 had the path
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> This directory held some packages (namely, scipy) that I had previously
> installed and successfully run from /usr/local/bin/python.  I'm wondering if
> this is part of the problem, and if perhaps this directory needs to be
> specified somehow during the ipython install?

No, you mentioned initially that you were running from
/usr/local/bin/python.  If that is true, you should have

where X is the number of the python installed in /usr/local/bin, which
you can see with

/usr/local/bin/python -V

The /Library/... is the Apple-supplied Python.  Dealing with Apple's
conventions is a huge PITA, but fortunately many others enjoy that
particular activity, so there are detailed guides on the matter.
Hopefully one of these will give you the necessary information:

If these don't work for you, perhaps one of our resident OSX experts
can provide some guidance.