[IPython-user] install from source

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Sun Jan 7 21:24:05 CST 2007

I'm trying to install a development version of ipython (python 2.4)
via SVN on my Mac (OS X 10.4.8) using the instructions at:

In the version I had installed before (via easy_install), the
following files existed:

For instance, the ipython file contained:

   __requires__ = 'ipython==0.7.3'
   import sys
   from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

      load_entry_point('ipython==0.7.3', 'console_scripts', 'ipython')()

The development install link above mentions the need to "symlink the
ipython startup script or alias it". I don't know what the ipython
startup script is. I'm also wondering if I need to create something
more sophisticated (as was done in the easy_install method). And
finally, do I need to do a similar trick for pycolor?