[IPython-user] Are people using ipython+emacs+MacOSX?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jan 15 12:13:04 CST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 9:45 AM, David Strozzi <david.strozzi@gmail.com> wrote:
> More of my two cents:
> The Mac is becoming more popular among scientists, at least
> physicists, largely due to the unix layer.  Especially if you want a
> unix OS that really works on laptop hardware without (real or
> imagined) installation pain (read: linux).  As a French colleague told
> me "there is unix, there is powerpoint, phhh."
> So ipython / scipy / matplotlib might be gaining more of a mac user base.

What you say is definitely true, and I'd *love* to have a perfectly,
out-of-the-box solid ipython system on Leopard.  Unfortunately it
seems Apple didn't make things easy for us, since it appears that
their own readline-like library is buggy.  We have a wiki page where I
encourage all of our OSX experts to update with information on what
the best approach to this problem is:

So let's keep on updating this page as new information becomes
available, so that we can hopefully provide OSX users with an easy to
follow set of guidelines.