[IPython-user] Ipython-matplotlib thread issue

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jul 16 19:12:35 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Arnar Flatberg
<arnar.flatberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Interactive matplotlib shuts down on me.
> I'm sorry, I do not have an example to reproduce the error. I don't even
> have a feeling when it happens. However, better to get it reported than be
> quiet,right?
> I am using ipython from trunk (0.9.0.bzr.r1016 on python2.5, ubuntu 8.04
> x86) and when working interactive with matplotlib (-pylab) I have (just a
> couple of times) recieved the warning:
> Warning: Timeout for mainloop thread exceeded
> switching to nonthreaded mode (until mainloop wakes up again)
> After this warning, the matplotlib figures will no longer show or an empty
> figure pops up. Well, I am guessing my pylab thread got killed, right?

Mmh, I haven't seen that.   That  warning comes from a refactoring
that Ville did a few months back to make the threaded code supposedly
more robust. I'm sure he'll be able to provide some further info.  He
might be able to suggest how to trigger a failure, case in which we
could try to fix it further.

We'll see where this goes after feedback from Ville (or anyone else
who's knowledgeable on the matter).