[IPython-user] ipython won't take >b< from the keyboard

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Jan 30 16:22:07 CST 2009

On 2009-01-30 15:03, Glenn wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm running python 2.5.4 on os-x 10.5.6 (PPC). I just downloaded and
> installed ipython 0.9.1.
> I've played with ipython a bit, and most behavior is as expected,
> except when I type a 'b', the computer makes a sound just like when I
> try to delete past the beginning of a line, and it doesn't display the
> 'b'. So things like 'from pylab import *' fail.
> Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to fix it?

Yes, we've seen this before deep in the bowels of this thread:

When you start up IPython, do you see this line?

   Leopard libedit detected.

Which Python distribution are you using? Do you know which readline module you
are using? Can you show us the output of the following (note: *not* from inside

 >>> import readline
 >>> import commands
 >>> (s,r) = commands.getstatusoutput('otool -L %s' % readline.__file__)
 >>> print r
(compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.3.3)

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco