[IPython-user] How do I make VI the line editor?

Coert Waagmeester lgroups@waagmeester.co...
Tue Mar 31 03:09:07 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 08:42 -0400, Esmail wrote:
> Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> > Hello all IPythoners.
> >

> > On Linux I use ksh with vi as the line editor.
> >
> > I want to use IPython as my shell, but I also want to have vi as line
> > editor. Is this at all possible?
> Hi Coert,
> I am not an expert with iPython and I am not 100% sure about
> your question, but if you are wondering how you can fire up
> vi from inside iPython there are at least 2 ways to do this.
> There is a configuration file for iPython that you can use,
> or (easier) just set the EDITOR environment variable under Linux
> and iPython will use it to determine what editor to invoke when you
> use %edit.
> Hope that helps,
> Esmail

Yes, that is indeed the way to set the editor. I have done that,

But what I mean with line editor is that one can use vi commands on the
'command line'.

With ksh you invoke it with 'ksh -o vi'
then if you want to eg complete a word, you press Esc and \

Or if you want to go back in command history you use the vi arrow keys,
for instance Esc+k

This is what I would like to do in iPython.

Kind regards,