[IPython-user] Cannot start ipcluster

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Sun Oct 18 16:01:39 CDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:

> Moreeeeee speed-up :)
> Next step is to use multiprocessing module.

I did two tests since I was not sure which timing to believe:

real    6m37.591s
user    10m16.450s
sys    0m4.808s

real    7m22.209s
user    11m21.296s
sys    0m5.540s

which in result I figured out real is what I want to see.  So the
improvement with respect to original linear 18m 5s run is 2.4 to 2.7X
speed-up in a Dual Core 2.5 Ghz laptop using Python's multiprocessing
module, which is great only adding a few line of code and slightly modifying
my original process_all wrapper script.

Here is the code:

#!/usr/bin/env python

Execute postprocessing_saudi script in parallel using multiprocessing

from multiprocessing import Pool
from subprocess import call
import os

def find_sea_files():

    file_list, path_list = [], []
    init = os.getcwd()

    for root, dirs, files in os.walk('.'):
        for file in files:
            if file.endswith('.sea'):

    return file_list, path_list

def process_all(pf):
    call(['postprocessing_saudi', pf[1]])

if __name__ == '__main__':
    pool = Pool(processes=2)              # start 2 worker processes
    files, paths = find_sea_files()
    pathfile = [[paths[i],files[i]] for i in range(len(files))]
    pool.map(process_all, pathfile)

The main difference is to change map call since Python's original map
supports only one iterable argument. This approach also shows execution
results on the terminal screen unlike IPython's. I am assuming like
IPython's, multiprocessing module should be able to run on external nodes.
Which means once I can set a few fast external machines I can perform a few
more tests.