[IPython-user] feature request

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jan 18 09:29:38 CST 2010

On 2010-01-18 04:14 AM, Flavio Coelho wrote:
> a little aesthetic request:
> I wonder how hard would it be to have on the fly syntax highlighting as
> we can find in the bpython <http://bpython-interpreter.org/home/>
> interpreter. Bpython uses pygments.

The difficulty isn't the syntax highlighting but the cross-platform terminal
support. bpython uses curses and thus is not portable to Windows. curses cannot
be used for the main frontend to IPython. Implementing the cross-platform
terminal support for such things yourself would also be tricky to accomplish.

However, if you are willing to put in the effort, a UN*X-specific, bpython-like
frontend to IPython could be made along the same lines as the wx and Qt frontends.

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco